When a family enters into a new house, homeowners must give utmost attention to auspicious muhurtas and the Griha Pravesh ceremony in particular. An essential aspect of Vaastu Shaastra is Griha Pravesh or first entry into a newly built home. Griha Pravesh is conducted to accurately align the five elements of house – the sun, earth, water, fire and wind to bring happiness, prosperity and good health to the residents.
As per Hindu beliefs, success and happiness of a house depend on the favourable time the Griha Pravesh is performed. Navratri is considered as one of the most auspicious periods to enter one’s house for the first time. The ceremony, if completed in this favourable time can ward off evil effects present in that area and make it “Shubh” or auspicious.
But, many of us are not aware of customs associated with Griha Pravesh, so let us discuss a few Griha Pravesh tips to make this occasion enjoyable and auspicious.
• The Griha Pravesh must be done, only when the home is ready-to-move-in and the family is willing to shift into. All the doors and shutters should be in place along with the roof covering the house before the ceremony day, as this ensures to bring peace into the lives of the inhabitants.
• Devi idols should be settled in the east facing side of the house during the Griha Pravesh ceremony and should not be kept against walls. Ganapati Pujan should also be performed necessarily.
• The floors should be mopped up and thoroughly cleaned using salt for the purification of the house before the puja takes place. Also, holy water should be sprinkled all over the house to instil a sense of purity.
• The main door of the house should be furnished with a Toran consisting of mango leaves and fresh, bright coloured flowers. The main gate is known as the Simha Dwara and is the face of the Vastu Purusha and should be decorated with Swastika symbols and Laxmi feet for good fortune.
• The floor should be adorned with a colourful rangoli made up of vibrant colours and rice flour. It is believed that Rangoli invites Goddess Laxmi, the deity of wealth and prosperity in the home.
• A person should always set forward their right foot first when entering a new house.
• A pot or Kalash filled with water or milk should be placed inside the house on the day of the Griha Pravesh and later donated to someone deprived or in a temple the next day.
• A feast to priests should be offered on this auspicious occasion.
• On the day of Griha Pravesh, the inhabitants of the house should sleep in that home for that night at least.
• Milk should be boiled in the kitchen of the home on Griha Pravesh day to bring fortune.
• For the next 40 days, the house should not be left entirely vacant, and at least one member of the house should be present in the home always.
If above prescripts are followed cent percent with good mind and heart, it can bring good fortune and prosperity in the home and to the homeowners.
Also Read – Why People Prefer Buying a Home During Navratri?
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Leave a Reply